作业完成情况汇报

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛

送交者: xinku 于 2006-11-17, 15:07:28:

版主叫我去问美、中同事,我问了,下面汇报情况(所有问讯对象都至少拥有本科学历):
1。关于“一些建议”和“一点忠告”,没有一个中国同事能分辨差别;
2。关于“vulnerable”,问了两个美国男同事,都认为是“Susceptible to physical or emotional injury”的意思;又问了一个女同事,也持同样看法,并且指出,在此语境中的真实含义是“inexperience”(让人想起巫译)。还不放心,去问了NYU的英语教授Denis Donoghue,他的回答就不一样了。附EMAIL如下:
---------------------------------------------
Dear XINKU: I vote for 2a....DD

At 12:31 PM 11/17/2006, you wrote:
Dear Prof. Denis Donoghue:

Sorry for bothering you, because I need some help from you regarding English-Chinese translation issues.

Recently there have been a lot of discussions about F. Scott Fitzgerald's famous story "The Great Gatsby" in Chinese forums.
Since it is such a great work, its translation into Chinese has attracted a lot of attention.
People have even different opinions about the very first sentence:

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.
'Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,' he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.'
He didn’t say any more,...." (from http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/f/fitzgerald/f_scott/gatsby/chapter1.html)

The word "vulnerable" has the following meanings (from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vulnerable):
A Susceptible to physical or emotional injury.
B Susceptible to attack: “We are vulnerable both by water and land, without either fleet or army” (Alexander Hamilton).
C Open to censure or criticism; assailable.

A Liable to succumb, as to persuasion or temptation.
B Games. In a position to receive greater penalties or bonuses in a hand of bridge. In a rubber, used of the pair of players who score 100 points toward game.

Some people say that 1a is the correct interpretation, while the others say that 2a is correct.
So I ask you what is your opinion about the meaning of the word "vulnerable" in the context?
If you have time to reply this email, it will be very helpful for us.

Thanks a lot!

XINKU
------------------------------------------------------------
问题1:显然我的中国同事都是“傻逼”,他们都没能体会出那两句中国话的区别。所以还是得麻烦版主给出正确的解释:这两句话究竟有何不同?
问题2:我的美国同事的看法显然与那位NYU的英语教授Denis Donoghue不同。我是就相信了Denis Donoghue 好呢,还是再去问问别的英语教授?
我决定把这件事认真做下去,反正明天是周末,闲着也是闲嘛!

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明)