《自然》新闻试译:Brawl in Beijing【版面调整】

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛

送交者: 克己明德 于 2010-09-29, 23:48:08:

回答: 《自然》新闻试译:Brawl in Beijing 由 克己明德 于 2010-09-29, 23:43:03:

Brawl in Beijing
Critics of Chinese researchers targeted in physical attacks.
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100929/full/467511a.html
发生在北京的殴打
关于中国研究者发动暴力袭击的评论
David Cyranoski

Science can be a rough game in China. On 29 August, on his way home from a tea house in Beijing, Fang Shimin was assaulted. The former biochemist — who for the past decade has run a website exposing scientific fraudsters — was chased by two men, caught and attacked with a hammer.

在中国,科学大概是一种粗暴的活动。8月29日,北京,方是民在从茶馆回家的路上遭到袭击。他遭到两个男人追赶,被他们截住后,受到铁锤袭击。这位前生物化学家在过去的十年里一直管理着一个揭发科学界骗子的网站。

"I believe they planned to kill me," he says. "The only way to shut me up is to kill me." He escaped with only minor cuts and bruises. In June, Fang Xuanchang, a journalist who had reported on corruption in science in China, was left with more serious injuries after two men assaulted him with steel rods.

“我相信他们是计划要杀死我,”他说,“因为能让我不说话的唯一方法就是杀死我。”他逃过了追杀,只受了点挫伤,留了个小伤口。六月份的时候,曾报道过发生在中国科学界腐败行为的记者方选昌遭到两个男人用钢筋袭击,受到更严重的伤害。

On 21 September, police arrested Xiao Chuanguo, a urologist at Tongji Medical College in Wuhan, on suspicion of master¬minding both plots. Xiao could not be reached for comment, but has confessed his involvement to Beijing's police. Fang Shimin says Xiao could face 3–10 years in prison — or more if the charges become attempted murder.

9月21日,武汉同济医学院的泌尿科专家肖传国因涉嫌策划这两起袭击被警方逮捕。肖未能就此事发表评论,但是他向北京警方招供他参与了袭击事件。方是民说肖可能面临3-10年的牢狱之刑,如果被控诉故意谋杀的话,可能会被判更长的刑期。

Xiao and Fang Shimin have never met or spoken, but their paths have crossed on the Internet — and in court. Xiao's clash with him, and with Fang Xuanchang, revolves around a surgical procedure devised by Xiao that aims to restore bladder and bowel function in patients with spina bifida or spinal-cord injuries. Xiao reported an impressive 87% success rate for the operation, which involves re-routing nerves1,2. In 2005, he was nominated for membership of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the elite body of the Chinese scientific world.

肖和方是民从没有见过面,从没有通过话,但是他们却在因特网上相遇,甚至闹到法院。围绕着肖想出的一个手术,肖跟方是民和方玄昌才针锋相对地碰到一起。肖的这个手术想要恢复脊裂病人或者脊髓损伤病人的膀胱和肠道功能。对这个涉及神经重建1,2的手术,肖给出了一个令人印象深刻的87%的成功率。在2005年,肖获得了中国科学院院士的提名,中科院是中国科学领域里的精英集团。

Following his nomination, people started posting questions about Xiao's claims on Fang Shimin's website (http://fangzhouzi-xys.blogspot.com). Then in September 2005, Fang Shimin published an essay in Beijing Sci–Tech Report, which said that Xiao was not an associate professor at New York University as he states in his CV, but only an assistant professor. Furthermore, the article said that only 4 of the 26 English-language publications Xiao listed were journal articles — the rest being abstracts from conference proceedings.

在肖获得提名之后,人们开始在方是民的网站发表文章对他所宣扬的事情进行质疑(http://fangzhouzi- xys.blogspot.com)【注:方的网站是:www.xys.org】。之后,在2005年9月份,方是民在《北京科技报》发表了一篇文章,文中说肖并不是如他简历里所说的那样是纽约大学的一名副教授,只是一名助理教授。而且,该文还说,肖在简历里列出的26篇英文文章只有4篇发表在期刊上,其他的只是会议摘要。

It is not known if Fang Shimin's article affected the academy's decision, but Xiao was not made a member and has since sued Fang Shimin for libel five times. Fang Shimin, whose site has been criticized for giving contributors a platform for unjustified attacks on their enemies3, lost one case and won two, with the other two undecided. Meanwhile, criticism of the 'Xiao procedure' has continued. Last year, Fang Xuanchang published a series of articles questioning its efficacy, which may have prompted the attacks on him.

不清楚方是民的文章是否影响了学术委员会的决定,但是肖没有当成院士,自此以后,他就先后五次以遭到诽谤起诉方是民。方是民,这个其网站曾被非难成提供对撰稿者的敌人进行不公正攻击平台的人3,输掉了一场官司,赢了两场,另外还有两场没有判决。与此同时,对“肖氏手术”质疑的声音却从未停止过。去年,方选昌发表了一系列的文章质疑 “肖氏手术”的效果,这些文章的发表可能使他遭受袭击。

Beijing-based lawyer Peng Jian says he has interviewed 20–30 patients who have experienced side effects after undergoing the Xiao procedure, and who are seeking compensation. This summer, the first US trial of the treatment reported ambiguous results in The Journal of Urology4, and two journal editorials said it should be considered experimental4.

北京律师彭剑说,他已经走访了20-30名患者,这些病人在接受肖的手术之后都出现了副作用,他们正在寻求赔偿。今年夏天,在美国进行的临床试验首次在《泌尿学杂志》报道了一个模棱两可的结果,而且该杂志有两名编辑说进行这样的实验应该经过深思熟虑。

Fang Shimin, meanwhile, is unfazed by the attack. "It won't stop me," he says. "I will continue to do what I am doing."

同时,方是民并不对遭到的袭击感到担忧。“这不会阻止我,”他说,“我会继续做我现在做的事情。”

References
1. Xiao, C.-G. Proc. Int. Conf. Urol. Shanghai, 2–4 July (2005).
2. Xiao, C.-G. Eur. Urol. 49, 22-29 (2006).
3. Cyranoski, D. Nature 441, 392-393 (2006).
4. Peters, K. M. et al. J. Urol. 184, 702-708 (2010).

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明