equivalent?

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: halcyondays 于 2005-12-11, 19:30:05:

回答: [ZT]方舟子在浙大讲话关于美国MD的谬误 由 limitations 于 2005-12-11, 17:45:26:

My brother went to a good medical school in China and spent 5 years there. He went on to get his Master degree in three more years. Compared with others in other fields, I could see his life at both undergraduate school and graduate school was much busier. But I am not sure one can say that China’s bachelor degree in medicine is equivalent to the MD in the US since I can make some comparisons.

My daughter went to a good college here in the North America. She graduated with a perfect GPA (4.0), with three degrees in Chemistry, Biology and CS. She was very active in extra curriculum activities and was volunteering in the rescue stations for almost two years. With qualifications like that, she was still rejected by the most medical schools she applied. Duke Medical School has a class of 100. With more than 8,800 applicants this year, only less than 800 were invited for interviews. UNC-CH has a class of 160, but you still have only 25% chance if you are lucky to get an interview. It’s much harder to get admitted to medical schools here than in China. That’s true in the past and still true now.

It’s not fair to compare my brother’s lever with my daughter’s since my brother went to the medical school years ago but it’s safe to say that my daughter’s overall background knowledge in life sciences is not weaker than my brother’s at his time to get his medical bachelor degree.

Now she is in one of the best medical schools. She thought she was well prepared but she really has to study hard. Life is no less busier than my brother’s college years. And except the first summer, she is not going to have summer breaks (no course works in summer though).

So based on what I know about medical school education in China and here, it is hard to convince me that China’s bachelor degree is equivalent to America’s MD.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl