请各位鉴赏评判:China Daily的第六期司机翻译擂台夏季联赛05-08-17-31

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: 林子大了 于 2005-8-31, 07:55:38:

http://language.chinadaily.com.cn/translation/oldinfo.shtml

一元敲开的门

一位刚毕业的女大学生来到一家公司应聘财务会计工作。当面试时,因公司想招聘有经验的资深会计,所以女大学生立即遭到拒绝。但她并没有因此而灰心离开。她诚恳地对主考官说:“请再给我一次机会,让我参加完笔试。”主考官拗不过她,就让她参加了笔试。结果她很顺利地通过了笔试。最后由人事经理亲自复试。

由于这位女大学生的笔试成绩最好,所以人事经理对她颇有好感。但女大学生坦言自己没有工作经验,唯一的会计经验是在学校管过学生会财务,这让人事经理有点失望。不得已,人事经理只好对她说:“今天就面试到这里,如果有消息,我们会打电话通知你。”

女大学生从座位上站起来,从口袋里掏出一元钱,双手递给人事经理:“不管我是否被录用,都请您给我打个电话。”人事经理一下子呆住了,不过他很快就回过神来问:“你怎么知道我们就不给没有录取的人打电话呢?”

“您刚才说了,有消息就打,言下之意就是,没有录取就不打了。”人事经理似乎对这个姑娘产生了浓厚的兴趣,于是又问;“如果你没有被录取,我打电话的话,你想知道些什么呢?”“请告诉我,在什么地方我没有达到贵公司的要求,我可以努力改进。至于那一元钱,给没有录取的人打电话不属于公司的正常开支,所以这个电话费应该由我付。请您一定打。”

人事经理马上微笑地说:“请你把一元钱收回。我不会打电话了。我现在正式通知你:你被录取了,明天就可以来上班。”

就这样,女大学生用一元钱敲开了机遇的大门。

参考译文 中译英 by 陈德彰
Knocking the Door Open with One Yuan

A girl just graduated from college went to a certain company to apply for the position of an accountant. However, she was immediately turned down as that company wanted to hire a senior accountant with much working experience. But she was not disheartened and begged the examiner, “Please give me another chance and let me take the written exam.” See the girl in such an earnest the examiner agreed to let her take the written exam. It so happened that the girl passed the written exam. Finally the human resources manager of the company decided to conduct the final interview.

As the girl rated the top one in the written exam, the human resources manager had a favorable opinion of her. But the girl said frankly she had had no working experience, and the only experience about bookkeeping she had was running the finance of the students’ union in college. The human resources manager was somewhat disappointed and could only told her,“So much for today’s interview. We’ll phone you if you shall be given the job.”

The girl got up on her feet and produced from her pocket one yuan, which she handed to the manager with both hands. “Please phone me whether I shall be hired or not,” she said to the human resources manager. The latter was surprised but soon recovered to ask her, “How do you know we don’t phone those who shall not be hired?”

“Just now you said you will phone me if I shall be given the job. This implies you won’t phone those who are not given the job.” The manager seemed to be interested by the girl and asked further, “What would you like us to tell you if you are not given the job?“ “I would like to know in what respect I fail to meet the requirement of your company, so that I can make further improvement . As for the one yuan, I mean to pay for calling me as it is not the normal financial responsibility of the company to pay for phoning those who shall not be hired. Please be sure to phone me.”

Hearing this, the manager smiled and said, “Please take back the one yuan. I shall not phone you because I want to inform you formerly that you are hired. You can come to work tomorrow.”

Thus, with just one yuan the girl knocked open the door of opportunity.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl