Driver cleared in student's death (ZT)

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: HLA 于 2006-5-03, 09:50:26:

回答: tragedy can happen anytime anywhere (ZT) 由 HLA 于 2006-5-03, 09:41:18:

Driver cleared in student's death
By Pete Bosak
pbosak@centredaly.com
STATE COLLEGE -- The Harris Township supervisor who was driving the car that struck and killed a Penn State graduate student in February was cleared of wrongdoing Friday and will not face any charges in connection with the death.

The decision by Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira was met with mixed emotions from the Chinese community at Penn State, some of whom called on the driver, Clifford Warner, to at least offer condolences and apologize to the family of 25-year-old Xiaohui Xia.

"I feel he owes Xiaohui's family and the local Chinese community an explanation," said Xiaole Mao, a Penn State graduate student and friend to Xia. "Xiaohui's family was here for weeks and we never heard a word from the people who hit her. He should apologize, especially to Xiaohui's family."

Telephone messages left at Warner's Boalsburg home and at the Harris Township Municipal Building were not returned Friday. When contacted earlier this week, Warner said he was not to speak with the press and abruptly hung up.

Xia died days after the Feb. 9 accident, in which she was hit by Warner's Ford Taurus while crossing South Allen Street near Logan Avenue. Warner told police he did not see Xia until it was too late to avoid her, according to the police accident report.

The monthslong investigation included multiple police interviews with witnesses, the report from a police accident reconstructionist and a review of medical records, Madeira said.

"I reviewed everything the police could give me," Madeira said Friday.

The investigation showed that Warner, chairman of the Harris Township Board of Supervisors, was not speeding, and two witnesses agreed. Xia also was not in a crosswalk when she was struck, police reports indicate.

Madeira spoke of the pain both sides have suffered since the accident.

"We call them accidents for a reason," he said. "As horrible as this is for the victim's family and friends, and for the driver himself, it is just that -- an accident. It does not rise to the level of criminal liability."

Still, Xia's friends were distraught by Friday's decision and reiterated their sadness that Warner never offered his sympathies to the family and friends of Xia.

"We just want human feelings," said Lifang Luo, a Penn State graduate student.

"He never showed his sympathy for this accident. This was a life."

Luo said she wanted an explanation for the police decision not to prosecute and could accept it if it is reasonable. Others were not so sure.

"The decision surprised me a lot and confused me a little bit," Penn State graduate student Nan Yu said. "I wanted to know more about how the case was ruled. I will be more careful when I cross the street in the future because people who hit me will not be responsible for my loss.

"When you think about that, it's pretty scary," she said. "Maybe blaming the driver cannot bring Xiaohui back, but that car accident took a 25-year-old girl's life. I hope people who (are) involved in this case can at least remember that."

Jianfeng Guo, president of the Chinese Friendship Association at Penn State, said he is working to get word to Xia's family in China about Madeira's decision.

Xia's body was returned to her homeland for burial.

Pete Bosak can be reached at 235-3928.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl