they will start digging if they think there is good case to be

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛

送交者: 美女 于 2010-10-02, 12:47:21:

回答: This case may be less clear cut compare to Guatemalan or Tuskegee 由 潜伏九号 于 2010-10-02, 11:42:06:

made; they have their own motives and interests.

I do not disagree with the essence of what you wrote, and I did not know whether Xiao's research and operations are illegal or just unethical; thanks for explaining that.

Certainly someone who does not speak chinese and have no clue about china will not just come here alone to investigate this. But I am not sure if they need or even desire a chinese scholar trained in US as a go-between. In any case that sounds like a menial job for people like Dr. Mendel. Competent investigative reporters will do their homework first and would not rely too much on anybody. No matter how complicated China is, there are always foreign reporters and writers coming here to write their articles. The quality may be good or bad, but often it does have an impact.

But you are right that allegation of inappropriate use of NIH grant on the scale of Xiao would not leads to that much of an interest. To make a good story sex and violence would be useful and now it has at least one of those.

Also downstairs the case of the Harvard genetic study was mentioned. Would be a more relevant example?

The Guatemalan or Tuskegee projects was once not so clear cut as it is now. Ethic standards do change. It was once a popular practice in the US to sterilize people who are considered unfit, and those experiments in some sense were legacy of that.

Dr. Fang, when approached by journalists, can point out that Xiao's conduct is in violation of accepted ethical rules and that his colleague and funding agency should be aware of it.

You must be right that I am not quire familiar with China's reality. The water in china is very deep, so certainly there is too much for me to see and know. :)

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明