No need to whin, at least not you :)

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: 自如 于 2005-3-08, 11:16:08:

回答: My whining. 由 mangolasi 于 2005-3-08, 09:02:36:

That you can compose a lengthy argument in fluent English and that you can reach XYS and afford the internet access suggest that you are not the ones who NEED to 煮鹤焚琴. Before you complain about the "development first" mentality, have you ever taken the stand of those in need and evaluated their situation?

And when you argue that the dilemma between "煮鹤焚琴" or "饿死" could be avoided you suggest that "people happens to endow with better fortune (locally) have the responsibility to avoid this senario of choosing". Unfortunately I don't see how that can automatically happen. On the contrary I feel sad by witnessing the exact opposite in the comments from you or EYU. Haven't you happened to endow with better fortune to enjoy the developed life style? Yet, what responsibility have you decided to take on so that people in developing countries could catch up with your life style? The only suggestion I learn from you or EYU is that those people give up their development, whenever that would be in conflict with your personal interests, be it the mercy on animals, or the love of "original" ecological scenery. I might have misjudged you, in which case I apologize. But I sense in you less pity felt for fellow human being than for a civet.

And true, listening to a CD harms little in comparison with "cooking 10 birds with 10 zithers". Yet are the advocates for development suggesting the latter? Besides, are the two things comparable? If you are starving without food, will you enjoy the pleasure to listen to your favortie band? If you have no money, can you buy the CD or the CD player? Should you have no electricity, would the music come off from thin air? People in the developing world are not offered the choice between the fictious insane cooking act and the luxury of listening to a CD in comfortable clothings after a descent meal. Do you think those poor are idiots?

And although you said you are not arguing for "敬畏", your reasoning for conservative actions is close in nature to some of their arguments. True, we don't know a lot about the complex nature, YET. The ones who know everything, like the mighty God or whoever, decide to take advantage from it instead of giving us helpful apocalypse. As a result, we are facing another choice here. 1. We could refrain from any actions for which we can not guarantee the positive outcome in 100 PERCENT; 2. Or, we employ caution (are 敬畏 people more cautious than those scientists who constantly require rigorious experiments and lucid explanation?), but we also continuously adapt our world to suit our needs. Your choice can only be 1 from your rationale, and if our ancestors had happened to succumb to your forceful argument and faltered before the unknown mysteries of nature, I doubt very much that the CD you enjoy today could have been invented before that evilly omnipotent God finally delivers his promise to those with faith in his ultimate crime.

The tomb is the inevitable outcome for everyone, that is not what we can decide upon. All we can decide is what route to take before we reach that conclusion. One option is to serve the living Homo sapiens, people all around the world, and those who will be for generations to come ...

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl