Obama opened his heart: "My Muslim Faith"

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛

送交者: 華有缺 于 2008-09-09, 19:47:05:

Again, Lubos has a very good analysis on this.

3. he meant "my Muslim faith" because he just happened to open his heart at that moment.

Around 1:20, Obama says that "McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith". Now, because this is not a cheap blog abusing three words for political reasons, let us analyze the slip a bit more closely.

At the very beginning of the video, the host (George Stephanopoulos) talks about Obama's Christian faith. The discussion becomes a bit contrived and Obama suddenly mentions "my Muslim faith".

So what did he mean in that sentence? I see three basic answers:

1. he meant "my Christian faith", as the host corrected him
2. he meant "my alleged Muslim faith [that doesn't exist]"
3. he meant "my Muslim faith" because he just happened to open his heart at that moment.

At some moment, I found the answer "2" to be the most likely one. Imagine that someone may claim that you're a gay but you're not. Would you say "McCain hasn't talked about my homosexuality?" I doubt it. You would use a formulation that makes it clearer that it is a false accusation.

Also, if Obama meant "my alleged Muslim faith", I find it unlikely that he would "okay" the host's correction afterwords. The host suggested a correction "my Christian faith" and Obama agreed with the correction. If he meant "my alleged links with Islam", he would have insisted on that when the host tried to correct him. He kind of did it, too - but only another second later. Obama simply looked very confused about what he actually wanted to say. So does it mean that "1" is correct and Obama was talking about his Christian faith?

I find it unlikely, too. First of all, the term "my Christian faith" doesn't make much sense in the context. Whether McCain talks about Obama's Christian faith is almost completely irrelevant. In fact, no one does so because all these politicians are Christians, at least formally. There's nothing to talk about. Moreover, "my Muslim faith" seems to be a compact term that you probably wouldn't say if you haven't trained it sometime in the past. So "1" seems strange.

We are led to "3". He just wanted to say that the press shouldn't deconstruct private things such as Palin's pregnant daughter - and I agree with that. He deeply feels that his Muslim faith is analogous because it is his private thing - and I tend to agree with it, too. It's just a taboo that he may have broken it. Do you agree?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKGdkqfBICw

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明