Top Gun 的英雄好汉原型

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: 田牛 于 2005-11-28, 20:51:16:

美国共和党连任八届众议员、知名越战老兵——兰迪·坎宁安今天眼泪汪汪地认罪并宣布辞职。

LOS ANGELES, Nov 28 (Reuters) - U.S. Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, a California Republican, fought back tears as he resigned on Monday after pleading guilty to taking $2.4 million in bribes in exchange for help in securing Defense Department contracts.

Cunningham, 63, an eight-term congressman and decorated Vietnam War pilot, admitted taking cash, antiques, a yacht, vacation expenses and money for his daughter's graduation party from several defense contractors between 2000 and 2005.

"I am resigning from the House of Representatives because I've compromised the trust of my constituents," Cunningham told reporters after a hearing in San Diego federal court.

He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit fraud, bribery and tax evasion, as well as one count of failing to report more than $1 million in income in 2004.

Cunningham's fall was the latest scandal to hit the Republicans who have controlled Congress for over a decade.

Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, a Texas Republican, was indicted in September on charges of breaking his state's campaign finance laws. The Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating stock sales by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, a Tennessee Republican, and vice presidential aide Lewis Libby was charged last month with perjury over the leaking of a CIA operative's name.

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California said in a statement that the Cunningham case was "just the latest example of the culture of corruption that pervades the Republican-controlled Congress."

Cunningham, who denied any wrongdoing in July, said he was deeply sorry and ashamed and would cooperate in the government investigation of at least four defense contractors.

"I broke the law, concealed my conduct and disgraced my office. I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family," he said, choking back tears.

Cunningham had already said he would not seek re-election in 2006. He will be sentenced on Feb. 27 when he faces up to 10 years in prison.
His guilty plea followed several months of investigation by the Internal Revenue Service, the criminal investigative arm of the Pentagon, the FBI and federal prosecutors.

Cunningham is a member of the House intelligence committee and the appropriations sub-committee that controls defense spending.

"Yes, your honor," Cunningham said when Judge Larry Burns asked him if he had accepted bribes in return for influencing the award of tens of millions of dollars in defense contracts.

No contractors were named in the plea agreement but prosecutors said some months ago they were investigating the $1.6 million sale in 2003 of Cunningham's home in Del Mar, California, Mitchell Wade. Wade was until recently the chief executive of Washington-based defense contractor MZM, Inc.

Wade quickly sold the home for a $700,000 loss in the midst of San Diego's booming housing market.

The U.S. Attorney's office in San Diego said another, unnamed, defense contractor paid off the mortgage on Cunningham's new multimillion dollar home in the San Diego area, while a third contractor provided a $200,000 downpayment on a condominium in Virginia.

Cunningham also received a yacht, a Rolls-Royce, jewelry, rugs and travel expenses, according to court documents.

As part of the plea agreement, Cunningham agreed to forfeit more than $1.8 million in cash, his interest in his San Diego homes and more than a dozen antiques and pieces of furniture.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=bondsNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20051128:MTFH01308_2005-11-28_23-06-18_N28268599:1&pageNumber=1&summit=

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl