Thank you for your reply yesterday, now I know there is something call

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: mangolasi 于 2005-5-20, 18:28:52:

回答: 首张全球风力地图 (ZT) 由 Latino2 于 2005-5-20, 12:23:08:

"conservation biology" (ignorant, isn't it?).

And now your word is more credible since you are the person who works in the environment-related area, and yes, repeating slogan is useless. Even abstract reasoning won't work. It's detail that counts and you are the one mastering the detail.

But I really doubt the idea of improving the life for the local through the proposed project is just a (politically correct) sweetener for the project. You, the referees, the funding body, all know it might not work. Sometimes conservation means trade-off, you forsake the opportunity to exploit. Or do you mean you have to have some clear (and hopefully realistic) goal to make the local people prosper first--and ideally not by outside funding!-- only then the conservation project commences? Can the environment wait? (But even it cannot wait, and you carry out the project, but the local people are so poor that the project is barely effective. So you won't do better by starting it earlier). I know proverty is the biggest enemy to the environment, but I doubt this kind of "package" would be effective, or it's just a paper work. Please enlighten us if you have time and want to. I don't want to be a slogan cryer but really care, and need knowledge on it.

Back to abstract reasoning (since no detail at hand). I am not that animal right mania (though I really love animals, like EYU), but I care about climate change. Corrects me if I am wrong. Is it possible that when Brazil cuts, Sub-Saharan Africa suffers. When you are hungry but can cut wood to feed, you are not desperate enough. But if you suffer from severe climate and no wood, no bushmeat, the only way might be fight to get fed. Brazil is by all mean a much less vulnerable country than Sub-Sahran Africa. But even it's causal, you might not put your finger in it and hard to make one compensate the other (Kyoto is a nice begining). The deterioration of algriculture environment in Africa recently is also a fact. Darfur genocide is partly caused by water dispute. I am not saying the environment is the main reason for the unstable Africa Continent (Zimbabwe got nice algriculture environment, but also got Muguabee). That's the reason I think those "cut and prosper" argument doesn't work, or work on other's invisible expense.

But I really admire your work for the enironment. I don't want to call myself "environmentalist". But most of us who care these issues are doint cheap-talk. And you are doing the real work.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl