Let's talk about business on Qiu's inventions

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: Godfather 于 2006-1-25, 12:29:40:

1. It's time to discuss the business strategy that Qiu has implemented after discussing the scientific basis and data.

2. Since I couldn't find Qiu's CV, I suspect that Qiu is a Gong Nong Bin and got his Ph.D. in the motherland and he stayed at the same lab for 5 years as a postdoc at ABCOM. What he had known and delt with was only colicin ia. Since colicin Ia can form ion channels on the membrane, he assumed that it should work on any membranes no matter bacterial or mammalian cells, which might be true if it indeed is able to form the ion channels universally. However, what bothers me most is the antiviral activity simply because virus don't have any membranes. I haven't check his patent applications. If he used a different protein or strategy, it would be a different story, which I doubt it based on his background and training.

3. Of course, targeted therapy is a hot field, especially after Gleevec era. It's still hot now. If one was able to develop a novel strategy for targeted therapy, most ventrue capital firms would be very interested in investments. Due to the misunderstanding and immaturity of venture capital concenpt, actually there is no signle venture capital firm in the mootherland. All the companies invested in one project or another are very anxious to marketing the products. At least, the first thing for them to do is to get the investment money back due mainly to the current housing markets. Based on my personal observation, the money for most investment companies in the motherland was from the housing and land business, and they were misled by the government and so called experts and believed that now it's the golden time for biotech and drug business to make huge profits.

4. Qiu's phenomena is not an isolated case and the situation was beyond his control. The associated school and local government were very suportive to such great inventions with own interllectual properties. Therefore, he has been on the hotseat for long time. What he could do was to produce more and more missels to please the officials at all levels.

5. Why he published the controversial paper was a result of exaggeration and stimulation by the officials and the press. Another factor might be the momentum of biulding world leading universities by competing with the number of SCI publications and and the issue of impact factor.

6. As for drug discovery and development, that's a completely different issue, which involves many different expertise and highly debatable. That's the topic for those who have been working at pharmaceutical and biotech industries.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl