CityU student wins prestigious Fulbright award

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛

送交者: hooping 于 2006-12-01, 05:44:03:

http://www6.cityu.edu.hk/puo/CityUMember/Story/Story.aspx?id=20061121180327

An electronic engineering student from City University of Hong Kong (CityU) has been awarded a prestigious Fulbright Science and Technology Fellowship from the US Department of State.

Chen Jiashu, a Year 3 student from the Department of Electronic Engineering, is among 27 awardees worldwide, and the only one from Hong Kong, to receive this honour, which is given to outstanding foreign students who demonstrate unique aptitude and innovation in the fields of science.

Winning the Fellowship once again exemplifies CityU’s commitment to excellence in both teaching and research.

The award will sponsor Jiashu to pursue his PhD study at one of the top US institutions in science, technology or engineering upon graduation from CityU. Jiashu plans to undertake further research in radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) design, the topic for his final-year project in which he explores ways to enhance the performance of integrated circuits in wireless communication devices.

“I am greatly encouraged by this award and very grateful to CityU,” said Jiashu, who was drawn to CityU from Fudan University after learning about its excellence in electronic engineering.

“Studying at CityU has benefited me tremendously. Its rich learning environment and the level of support from my supervisor and my Department has strengthened both my academic and research abilities, which I believe were key to winning the award,” Jiashu added.

He also noted that his CityU exchange programme to Carnegie Mellon University in the US early this year allowed him to excel further in his studies.

“The Fulbright award, which is among the most prestigious in the US, is recognition of Jiashu’s academic and research achievements,” said Professor Luk Kwai-man, Head of the Department of Electronic Engineering.

Professor (Chair) Chan Chi-hou of Electronic Engineering, Dean of the Faculty of Science and Engineering; and Dr Xue Quan, Associate Professor in the Department of Electronic Engineering, acted as Jiashu’s final-year project supervisor and co-supervisor, respectively.

Professor Chan said support and commitment from industry was adding momentum to RFIC research at CityU. He noted that RFIC would drive the future development of wireless communications.

Local industrialists in support of RFIC research at CityU, including Dr Measure Hung Kim-fung, Chairman of Mobicon Group Limited, Mr Johnny Yeung, Chairman of Fujikon Industrial Holdings Ltd, and Mr Eric Yu, Managing Director of Chequers Electronic (China) Ltd, said they hoped to help develop technology and groom talent.

http://news.21cn.com/domestic/difang/2006/12/01/3051075.shtml
浙江青年获全球最高奖学金 总额超200万人民币

10多年前,家住宁波的陈老伯惊喜地收到8岁孙子送的“游戏机”,这是孙子花了半天时间,在硬纸板上画出来的。前几天,在香港读大学的孙子给了陈老伯一个更大的惊喜,孙子拿到了奖学金,明年将跳级进入美国名校,攻读博士学位,研究制造世界上最先进的手机、游戏机。
[被屏蔽广告]

令陈老伯更没想到的是,23岁的孙子陈嘉澍拿到的可是世界上最丰厚的奖学金,总额

折合人民币逾200万元。这个名为“富布赖特科学奖学金”的项目,今年是第一届颁出,陈嘉澍是27个获奖者中惟一的中国人。

他高考前半夜起来看球

孙子获奖的消息,陈老伯是通过网络才获悉的。陈老伯今年81岁,他告诉记者,嘉澍很小的时候就喜欢思考,观察力特别强。上学之后,他喜欢看球赛,爷爷也不阻拦。高考前,他还半夜起来看球赛,不过家长们都相信他能把握得好。

事实上嘉澍确实让人放心。杭州十四中的马老师是嘉澍高一高二时的班主任,他评价说:“他不仅读书好,字也写得特别漂亮,而且还喜欢运动,组织能力也很强。”

2003年高考,陈嘉澍以优异的成绩被香港大学和复旦大学同时录取,但前往香港读书的费用实在太高,家里无法承担,懂事的嘉澍选择了复旦大学力学专业。

在复旦大学读书的第一年,香港城市大学到内地招生,陈嘉澍凭着出色的发挥博得了城市大学的青睐,并且取得了全额奖学金。到香港城市大学之后,陈嘉澍转念电子工程学,这是他最喜欢的专业。

陈嘉澍到了香港念书之后,没有因为语言上的交流困难而封闭自己,他不仅在学习上相当出色,而且还很积极地参加各种社团活动。

他PK掉了清华北大学生

当然,陈嘉澍在香港的成绩也非常优秀,他的GPA(即累计学业成绩平均点数)达4.21(满分为4.3)。因为成绩优秀,陈嘉澍还作为交换生,前往美国梅龙大学学习了一学期。

今年,陈嘉澍被香港推选参加角逐美国“富布赖特科学奖学金”。这个奖学金今年第一次推出,主要针对科学领域表现出独特才能和创意的学生。同其他奖学金通过传统的双边协议推出的运作方式不同的是,能够入选“富布赖特科学奖学金”计划的学生,要由一流专家小组推选并在全球竞争产生。

陈嘉澍的竞争对手包括70多个国家的120名学生,其中清华大学和北京大学分别挑选了一名学生参与竞逐。上周,最后的名单出来了,在全球27名得奖者当中,陈嘉澍是惟一一名中国学生。他的导师分析说,陈嘉澍的学术论文《无线射频集成电路》非常出色,可以说代表了“未来无线通讯发展的方向”,获奖名至实归。

前不久,首位华人“图灵奖”得主、普林斯顿大学教授姚期智在看过陈嘉澍的研究后,忍不住夸奖他是一位前途无量的年轻科学家。

他明年将跳级读博士

事实上,陈嘉澍获得的奖学金可能算得上是世界上最丰厚的奖学金了。这项奖学金数额要高于培养一般研究生所需的费用,不仅‘全包’他未来几年的学费和生活费,还包括了参加学术会议的费用,金额超过200万人民币。

目前,手握丰厚奖学金的陈嘉澍已向美国斯坦福大学、麻省理工学院、加州大学柏克莱分校等著名院校提出申请,明年将入读其中一所院校,这也意味着他将直接“跳级”到美国念博士研究课程。

陈嘉澍表示,他计划在博士课程中继续钻研“无线射频集成电路”设计,主要研究如何提升集成电路在无线通讯设备中的功能,他希望自己能学有所成,归来后能协助祖国在这方面发展。来源:浙江在线-今日早报 作者:驻宁波记者 郑巍

---------------------------------------------
国人怎么这么强调钱?而不是荣誉,这个梅龙大学应该是CMU,GPA 4.21??,美国的好像满分是4

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明)