here is what I know

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛

送交者: sanfraner1 于 2006-10-02, 16:41:22:

回答: ZT: 活在美国:真不敢相信,这就是美国贫穷老人公寓 由 Nixrreg 于 2006-10-02, 12:14:55:

first no flame,please.

the senior housing are for senior, anyone over 65(?) or older can apply. it's first come first serve. usually it has a waiting queue in san francisco area. the waiting time varies depends on region. in San francisco area, the waiting can be more than 2 years. the rent is based on your income. usually it's 33% of the total income (for senior, usually it's social security, interest, etc). most ( not sure if it's all or not) places has mandatory meal plan. 1 meal/day. (about $6/meal). so the total expense will be $180 (or in ballpark) plus rent.

for those who are not familiar with the homeless issue. it's complicated. at least in san francisco, any homeless who want a shelter can get one. the city government has a program and money for that. they got 25% (it may be wrong, need to check) of the homeless to some kind of housing program last year and retained and they call it success. as a matter of a fact. lots of homeless opt to live that way, not because they can't afford/get an apartment. needless to say, these apartment is not luxury, just basic, running water, electricity, refrig.

for those who are in China and are not fimiliar with homeless issue, they are street people over there as well. government have programs to assist them returning their home, but most of them will be back to street sooner or later. my point is that some of them choose to live that way for certain advantages, for example, beggers in China may have more income than doing farming work. homeless in San Fran are easy to get drug and alcohol if they stay on street.

There are difference. it's possible that some people in China may be in desperate need for assistance but can't get it. In US, they will, in one way or another.

i have to admit that they social security/warefair system in US is much more generous than in China and to some aspect, it's subject to abuse by certain group of people. Personally, I oppose to those who live in these senior housing (most likely, with government assistance) without paying a penny to social security in their lifetime.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明)