New Yorker forum site:
http://boards.newyorker.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1
Or send email to Sylvia Nasar and Jessica Rosenberg to protest their
article: szn1@columbia.edu. Jessica_Rosenberg@newyorker.com

==================================

我给NASAR送了封信。 全文如下。

送交者: kawaii 2006年9月21日20:00:14 于 [教育与学术]http://www.bbsland.com

Dear Ms. Nasar,

I, a XXX professional, have read the "MANIFOLD DESTINY" you wrote in The New Yorker. I think you wrote an attracting story. However, I am deeply disturbed by your unfair judgment on Dr. Yau.

I never met Dr. Yau and I am also an outsider of math field. But, I would point out several issues that I completely disagree with you.

First. You describe Dr. Yau wants to take the Fields medal from Perelman. In fact, as you might have been aware of now, the paper published by Dr. Cao and Dr. Zhu gives a full credit to Perelman, even in the title. I think you should not fool me and so many other readers on this issue. Also, I would point out that it is the published paper that goes into the history, not the words coming out of a person's mouth.

Second, You describe Dr. Yau as a threat to the integrity of math world. I think this is totally wrong. Scientific disputes over certain scientific issues are judged by many peers, not one or two. This process may take years or even decades to conclude. Dr. Yau, one of supreme mathematicians in the world, certainly has his own mathematics in mind. Whether his math is a gap-filling or original shall be respected and welcomed. Who takes the credit is judged by whole math community, not by Dr. Yau, certainly not by any one other individual. How can you say Dr. Yau is a threat to Math ?

Third, As China undergoes a rapid and chaotic transition, some corrupted events happen. The higher education system in China is no exception. Dr. Yau put his reputation at risk and directly point out those corrupted parties and events and his voice is heard all over China, a really good effort that no other respected persons ever did. Of course, he is hated by some of those involved. Unfortunately, you picked up a wrong side and severely undermined Dr. Yau's effort to correct it, by portraying Dr. Yau as the evil and Dr. Gang Tian as the innocent in your MANIFOLD DESTINY.

In a short summary, I think your article is unfair and the readers are given no chance to hear Dr.Yau and his supporters' voice. As you are one of the best journalists in the nation, I suggest you take courage to correct what you wrote wrong and make an apology to Dr. Yau.

Sincerely

XXX
XXXXXX

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明)