Review of article "重历史,拒绝赝品" by Shen Hong

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: Erxin 于 2006-2-07, 12:24:42:

There are a few mistakes in Professor Shen's article "尊重历史,拒绝赝品——回顾北京大学历史上曾经采用过的英语校名", which is posted in "Latest Articles".

In this paragraph  
[例如在日常的交谈之中,“Oxford University”、“Cambridge
University”和“Toronto University”等都是些我们耳熟能详的著名大学。但是在介绍这些大学的正式文字材料上,我们就可以看到,上述校名马上被自动转换成了“University of Oxford”、“University of Cambridge”和“University of Toronto”。由于牛津和剑桥都是大学城,即城里所有的学院都属于那个以地名作为校名一部分的学校,因此不管怎么变,引起歧义的可能性都比较小。但是多伦多的情况就有所不同,因为在多伦多这个大城市里还有众多其他大学的存在,所以我们在运用校名的简称和全称时必须更加注意它们可能蕴涵的其他意义。笔者在多伦多大学学习和工作过一年,亲身体验过这字里行间的细微差别。假如你在跟一位多伦多大学教授交谈时频频使用“Toronto University”的说法时,你就可能会发现对方委婉而坚决地把这种说法纠正为“University of Toronto”。因为在对方的潜意识里,多伦多大学作为加拿大
的最高学府,是决不应该跟多伦多城里的其他大学混为一谈的。]

I've never been to Britain and do not know what people usually say about Oxford in their conversations. But I do know in Canada, you almost never hear people saying Toronto University. People often say University of Toronto or U of T for short. It puzzles me that why Professor Shen thought Toronto University might refer to other universities in Toronto. To me, the use of "Toronto University" is in singular form, thus shall not imply other "universities" in the city.

Second, the rules that Professor Shen proposed are somewhat misleading:

[  尽管还没有被写入薄冰或张道真的英语语法书,但是下面这几个简单的语法
规则却是凡起用地名来作为英语校名的高等院校都要认真遵循的:

1. 如果将地名作为形容词,放在 “学院”或“大学”的前面,那么在一般情况下,当地应该只有这么一个学校。
  2. 如果当地不止有这么一个学校,那么用地名做修饰词的校名往往可以被用来泛指当地任何一个学校。

3. 把地名作为形容词的校名往往是个简称,一般用于非正式的口语;而在正式的书面语中,地名往往要作为名词,被放在“学院”或“大学”的后面。]

These may apply to the naming of institutions in China, but certainly are not applicable to the English world.
There are numerous examples that one will find these rules are broken.

The article is otherwise a sound review of the history of Bejing University and its names. The materials presented in the article are informative.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl