美国人发现学校腐败后,通常不会袖手旁观。用Educrats这词形容国内一些人并不过分

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛

送交者: 田牛 于 2006-08-11, 19:11:10:

A principal pleaded guilty last month to two counts of endangering the welfare of children, admitting he asked two boys to disrobe inside the school. After sentencing, he'll be under "Megan's Law."
A vice principal is arrested multiple times for drunk driving, with his last arrest occurring outside a strip club.
Two principals are suspended because of an investigation into possible financial improprieties regarding expense vouchers.
A foundation designed to help students instead throws a questionable $20,000 banquet.
Annette Knox, the superintendent, leaves under a cloud of controversy, including apparently paying herself bonuses without the School Board's knowledge. She walks away with a $200,000 settlement, including a year of health benefits and a promise by the Board of Education to pay her legal bills. The N.J. District Attorney's office has served several subpoenas on the District and confirmed that a criminal investigation is underway.
And it was revealed that the secretary for Ms. Knox has earned $100,000 in overtime over the last three years. She even charged the District overtime when she was on vacation, sick, on holidays and even during a few days when she was in the hospital.
Which brings me to Joe Carruth, the whistle-blowing principal who got fired for speaking out when he said he was asked to participate in a test-rigging scandal. He's a principal with real principles and brought this scandal to light. Officials tried to coerce him into keeping quiet, implying that he would not just lose his job, but lose his health insurance for his seriously ill daughter.
Now, not even Mafia types like Tony Soprano would stoop so low as to threaten someone's family. But this is the Camden School District and, true to their word, they fire Joe. And to add insult to injury, a clerical error results in his health insurance stopped 30 days earlier than planned. The medical company that rents the equipment necessary for his daughter's survival tells them without the insurance coverage, they will have to retrieve the equipment. Media pressure shames the Board into paying the month's equipment rental.
Joe represents the integrity, the values and the commitment we need in the people we entrust to educate out children. Yet Joe tells me that, when he's interviewed with school districts, they tell him that they "won't hold what he did against him." These edu-crats should be ashamed of themselves. They shouldn't be judging Joe; they should be embracing him.
If you are as outraged as I am, I want you to join me in doing something about this. Let's roll up our sleeves, look into our mental Rolodex and do some networking on this man's behalf. Talk to your elected officials, your local School Board and your school district's leadership. Tell them any school district, especially the students and their parents, would be lucky to have Joe in their school system. If you have a "Six-Degrees-of-Separation" contact, call me personally at 610-668-5971 or e-mail me and we'll work together to make this happen.

http://www.theeveningbulletin.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17043367&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=6

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码: 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容: (BBCode使用说明)